The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

Back to the Classics Reading Challenge 2017
Category: Classic with a Number in the Title

The Sign of Four is Arthur Conan Doyle's second novel. While I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four is more complex and the writing style is greatly improved. There are some definite racist remarks in this book, but I realize that this was a typical view of the time period, especially in England, so historically accurate. I have read some Sherlock Holmes years ago, but I don't remember reading this one. I love the monologues, and the character development is good too. I noticed that in A Study in Scarlet, Watson claims that he has a shoulder injury, but in The Sign of Four, he states that his leg is where he is injured. I'm wondering if perhaps Watson may be a bit of an unreliable narrator?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous